Saturday, February 27, 2010

FUN with FERIDO


Last year I noticed around the traps a newish product called Ferido. This groovy product is a 2 part resin that when kneaded together in equal parts works just like a soft clay before setting rock hard in just a few hours. It comes in a number of colours and can be used to set a variety of objects such as crystals, stones, shells,pearls, fibres,buttons,metals etc. The Ferido website states that it can be "machined, drilled, tapped, turned, filed, sawn, sandpapered and painted"...it can also bond to "wood, brick, cement, metals, concrete, plastics, glass etc". I'm sure you'll agree that these features will allow for a multitude of uses in the jewellery and design arenas!

After doing a bit of research on the product and seeing some of the lovely work that Lisa Pavelka had been doing with this product I decided to give it a go for myself. So with less than one pack of black Ferido I managed to create this piece.

The above necklace "Coco Goes Seaside" recently won 10th Place in the 2009 Swarovski Create Your Style Creative Beading Competition held annually for Australian & New Zealand residents. I essentially encrusted a large Swarovski starfish using Ferido with an assortment of small Swarovski crystals and pearls - I have to say that I was very pleased with the result! The inspiration for this multi strand beaded necklace came after watching the movie "Coco Avant Chanel" at the cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment